Thursday 24 October 2013

The British "Panto"loons - An Nation Crazy for Panto!

My dad tells me that he took us to a pantomime when I was very, very small - panto being a sort of English Phenomenon. {Dan Stevens - Downton Abbey}

There can't be too many people in the country who don't at least "like" to go to a Pantomime over Christmas, let alone people who have never been to one.  Unfortunately these poor, pantoless people do exist, as do the panto snobs out there who will still try and belittle the art form, it's traditions and what it stands for.  Thankfully, they are in the minority, and as they sit moaning and groaning about why panto is a waste of time, the rest of the country will be popping on their hats 'n' mittens and heading with the family down to their local theatre full of excitement & festive cheer - or mulled wine as its more commonly known!

It's not just Guildford I'm excited about this year... there are some really exciting productions across the country that I'm really looking forward to seeing...!

First of all we'll venture back to my motherland, the Midlands and the two shows that I'll be seeing post Guildford.  The Birmingham Hippodrome, have gone all out with their cast this year and this is one of the two shows I'm looking forward to the most.  Snow White and her Dwarf chums hit Brum the week before Christmas, with comic ventriloquist and panto favourite Paul Zerdin (with Sam) as Muddles, John Partridge direct from the West End as the Prince and Stephanie Beacham, being evil once again as the wicked Queen.  Add into that mix a pinch of Gok Wan, as the man in the mirror, surely armed with a magazine of fashion related ammo, and Matt Slack as Oddjob and the show is already taking shape.  Then we come to what I think is the best bit... Panto stalwart Gary Wilmot, is donning a frock for the first time, and taking on the Dame!  I saw Gary at the Hippodrome with Rolf Harris many years ago and thought he was fantastic - I think with his natural likability and charm he's bound to offer a wonderful Dame!

The BH have announced that they won't be using real dwarves for the production, which has again caused a bit of a stir amongst the press.  Although they have yet to say how they are going to portray the loveable seven, rumours are they may use the techniques seen in the new "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" musical... we'll have to wait and see!  Their production of Robinson Crusoe starring Brian Connely, along with Lesley Joesph and the rest of the principal cast, have moved down to Southampton this year - are the BH hoping this Snow White will emulate it's success.

A few miles away QDos' successful production of "Sleeping Beauty" with Joe Pasqaule, finally reaches Wolverhampton.  This is the fifth year of this production, also featuring Ceri Dupree and Lucy Evans, with venues large enough to hold the production running out, so could this possibly be one of it's last outings, in it's current form?  I haven't seen a QDos "Sleeping Beauty", so it will be something fresh for me this year and I can't wait to finally see Joe in panto.  I've been a big fan since I was little, and just know that he must be a natural!!  Hopefully there will be lots of tit bits for me to absorb.

Moving back down south,  I thrilled that we've been gifted an extra day off this year, on the final Friday before the schools break back.  It means that I'll be free to the second show I'm most looking forward too, as I'd feared our schedules would clash.  The new Wimbledon theatre are known for usually having a good catch of panto celebs, and this year they seem to have excelled themselves. 

Jo Brand is making her panto debut as the Genie of the Ring in their production of "Aladdin!".  Again, I'm a big fan and think her sarcastic bluntness will work brilliantly as a grumpy Genie.  Hopefully I won't be disappointed.  She's joined by David Bedella, a West End favourite who's starred in such shows as Rocky Horror and Jerry Springer the Opera.  David takes on the role of Abanazer, and with his sharp, devil like features and a fistful of charm for the ladies - he's an inspired choice.  I see the banter between master and  servant being very sharp... with a few corpses!

Another West End star, Oliver Thornton, who I last saw in "Priscilla" takes on Aladdin - and Flawless from Britains Got talent with be patrolling the streets of Peking as the Chinese police.   Now on to the best bit... First Family are bringing a Dame out of retirement this year....  Matthew Kelly is back in a frock to give us his Widow Twankey.  I adore Matthew kelly, he was very kind to me a few years back at a function in Guildford, thanking me for me services at the theatre the night before.  He was starring as Malvolio in Twelfth Night, and I was supplying the drinks and sustinence.  A year later he was visiting a friend in a show, and as I directed him to his seat, he was kind enough to ask how "GSA was going!" How wonderful to be remembered.

I remember he was always playing "Mother Goose"  when I was younger, a production I never saw unfortunately, so I'm so excited about seeing his Dame.  He has a natural warmth anyway, which I'm sure is why the nation loves him... A Matthew Kelly Dame can surely only be one thing.... LOVELY!

As a footer to this post I wanted to make reference to John Barrowman and The Krankies at the SECC in Glasgow.  They've obviously formed a bit of a triple act in recent years, and I hope they venture south of the border again soon!  The reason I mention them is for the fantastic renaming of their 'Scottish Panto'.... "Dick McWhittington!"  Hillarious and very clever!  Also a quick nod to the Lyceum theatre in Crewe where the newly formed Grumbleweeds will be joining Adam Woodyatt in Peter Pan.  Unfortunately Graham Walker passed away earlier this year, after losing his battle with cancer.  His partner in crime Robin Colvill has decided to carry on under the Grumbleweeds name, with new partner Peter Piper, so although this will obviously be a sad first Christmas for Robin without Graham, good luck to both Robin and Peter moving forward.

Ok - that's given you a few ideas on other pantomimes you could be seeing this season.... as long as you've booked your Arnaud tickets of course!!

For now... so long.
X      

No comments:

Post a Comment