Tuesday 26 November 2013

"Lights, Camera, CHRISTMAS!"

“...Everyone wants to be excited by something magical and wondrous - to be reminded of how they once saw the world ...” {John Geddes}

Let's flick back 8 Christmases.  A young Brummie drama student, a bit wet behind the ears, away from home for his first Christmas build-up and his first taste of the Guildford Panto experience. One of the "names" that year was a lady you may of heard of.... A Ms Bonnie Langford, starring as the Prince in.... Cinderella.  There I was walking up the high street, all wrapped up for the winter, handing out stickers for the Panto, with one of my now agents James. 

The Christmas light switch on is a great night in Guildford.  Mulled wine and chestnut venders up and down the cobbles, with lots of Xmas market stalls, excited children and parents spending too much money!!  The format is the same every year, so everyone knows what to expect and what to look forward too.  I've only missed one light switch on since then, and this year I got to tick off a massive item from my bucket list.... Switching on the lights.  

It was PG, as always compering the event, with Bonnie (pressing the actual button) Kit and myself, all on the balcony, trying to get the crowd going.  We left rehearsals a little earlier, to get up to the Guildhall on time where we were to get into costume.  Unfortunately, Kit had "lost his breast" - the costume prop to give him his feminine physique.  There was a single balloon, which had been left not he table in our makeshift dressing room, "well there's your left one Kit," I pointed out... joking!
"oh yes... Now I need another one!"
I had suggested it as a joke, but Kit had already found a member of the council staff who was now stuck with the job of sourcing him a right boob.  The lovely Laura! who in charge of PR at the YA, had a look of horror suddenly shoot across her face.  
"No being naughty and popping them Kit!" She pleaded.
"Well I had thought about going out and saying 'hello poppit' and them popping them.", which of course he didn't.

The young lady came scurrying back with the deflated balloon, to which Kit remarked "oh marvellous, can someone inflate me!?"  Safe to say that they were two of the biggest "fake boobs" I've ever seen!  Thankfully the costume hew answering is quite flowy and could therefore accommodate Kit's.... Ample. 

Being out not he balcony was brilliant... Just as I'd imagined.  Waving down at the crowd of around eight thousand people, seeing everyone getting in the mood for Christmas and sharing a few Panto remarks with PG.  We did the countdown for the lights, sang a couple of Christmas songs and then did a tad more waving before the fireworks.  Sandy had managed to get right under the balcony, so I spotted her quite quickly and pointed her out to Kit.  She got a couple of great snaps and videos of the proceedings.  I also managed to get one or two from up on the balcony.  See if you can spot yourself. 

I also had the pleasure of appearing on the Allison Ferns show on BBC Surrey and Sussex, with my old friend Jeff Thomson.  I was interviewed on their theatre slot and spoke for a good few minutes all about the Panto and our wonderful cast.  I'd taken plenty of notes and had set phrases for everyone, so that I didn't repeat myself too much and fall back on my usual "it's brilliant!".  The links here, so do take a listen at around 2 hours 20 mins before they remove it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01klhbv

So ambition achieved and a little bit of publicity gained for me and the show.  All in all a good day, and one to be remembered.

For now.... Bye bye
JB -BB

No comments:

Post a Comment