Wednesday 20 November 2013

Rehearsals Begin, with doughnuts a plenty!

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." {Ralph Waldo Emerson}
* First of all apologies for the delay in this post; I'm not hooked up to the internet at my new digs yet, so I'm currently snuggled up in a corner of the rehearsal rooms trying to work with whatever Internet I can pick up. *

So officially... Welcome to the 2013/14 PANTO SEASON!! We're off, and we've slipped into the rehearsal process like a pair of old slippers! 

It all kicked off for me at the weekend, doing some last minute shopping and prepping at home before I left for Guildford.  Poor ol' Jarvo has been left all alone at home in London.... However will "she cope" without me I hear you cry?!?! Believe me she'll be loving the extra space!

Sunday night and off to the ford!  I settled into my digs, had another few flicks through the script and enjoyed the evening in with... Ant & Dec!! So happy I'm a celeb is back!

MONDAY:
Yes ladies and Jellyspoon's, calm yourselves please... DOUGHNUT DAY is here!! It's the day that boosts krispee kremes fortunes.  The traditional meet, greet and read through for all the cast, creatives and theatre staff.  As ever, us had joy to see everyone from the Arnaud, all beaming and chuffed that Panto has snuck up on us again!   The read through went down well, as did the doughnuts and four gallon of coffee!

And then we got cracking.  Little bit of singing, blocked some of Act 1 Scene 1 and after being introduced to this years juveniles, we got going with some choreography.  Not wanting to give anything away the opening number this year sees the return of an old favourite... But with a twist!!  You're in for a treat!

TUESDAY:
No slacking for us today!! Straight back into it with lots more singing and dancing! Cor.... I've got my work cut out.  Little bit of a realisation for me today!!  This is of course the first time I've taken on lead comic (other than understudying) and it's a huge task.  Going through the scenes today I felt quite "unfunny!"  It can be quite difficult trying to put your spin on something and bring a bit of humour when you're holding a script and constantly referring back to it.  This always happens for me - I have a couple of days when I feel as if I'm simply not doing it right... Usually things settle down of course, people become more comfortable with each other and the freedom of being off book allows you to "find your funny."  Hopefully this year will be exception.  Let's hope so anyway - the parts kinda depending on it.  

I think I felt more uncomfortable today because of the singi we had to do.  It was the first time I was put in front of our very talented ensemble and asked to sing.  They of course are all extremely talented singers and dancers (the producers have excelled themselves yet again this year) and then there's me. Now don't get me wrong I can hold a tune but in comparison I felt a bit under pressure.  So I went home today with an eennie weenie cloud over my head - only caused by my own lack of confidence!   Which of course... Is silly!! 
Until the Moro, night....!
JB-BB x

 
The ambassador for Doughnut Day and King of the sugary ring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment