Monday 6 January 2014

A New Year... but the Naughtiness Continues....

The trickster's function is to break taboos, create mischief, stir things up. In the end, the trickster gives people what they really want, some sort of freedom. {Tom Robbins}



Well a lot of us may have been battling bugs this past fews weeks, but we certainly havent let it dampen our spirits.  And now as we approach the end of the run, everyone is really relaxing into their roles and enjoying themselves, before its all over.

I've purchased a few little masks and trinkets, that I can use from the wings to try and make the ensemble chuckle... not whilst they have to speak I hasten to add.  Just a bit of fun.  So far we've had comedy glasses, the Queen and a pig to name a few.  They are at least the ones I am able to describe, with young readers in earshot. 

I had another 'little angel' up on stage last week; a young American lad, quite sure of himself but a comedy gift.  He had received an iPhone for Christmas, despite only being about 6 or 7.  Why I wonder would someone this age need an iPhone?  But it seems to be quite a common thing.  
"Now, if you struggle with the words don't panic...." i began to reassure the kids, before being cut off.
"I know the words, because my music teacher taught it to me!"
"Oh right.  Ok then!  Well i suppose if you struggle, you can always look up the lyrics on you're iPhone!"
Nice laugh from the audience and back to to preparing to sing, before he interupts again.
"No, because I've left my phone in the car!" this kid meant business.
"Oh you've left your iPhone charging in your Porsche have you?!  never mind!  Anyway..."  another good laugh and this time silence.  I think the Guildford audience liked the whole banter and the lad was in fact lovely!

This did lead to the first of numerous changes to my rhyming couplet, at the end of the show.  I'd already rewritten mine, to make it relevant about my accent.  "So the Baron's paid my wages - I'm rolling in the dosh.  So I've ditched me Brummie accent and started speaking posh!" which always gets a good reaction, after my accent has been ridiculed throughout the show.  So this night I changed it to [The first bit always remains the same, So the Baron Paid my wages.] "...I have a fortune of my own.  So I'm popping into Guildford to buy a new iPhone!"

Another reinvention of the couplet came when a little girl of four, when asked her favourite character during the songsheet, replied "Snow White!" to which I replied about her being "a year early!" and "I liked Snow White as well!"  At the end I said "... my fortune is a sight. So I'm off down to box office, for some tickets to Snow White!"

Poor old Alice, being on her feet for most of the show, has on a couple of occassions been having to really squeeze her foot into the slipper in the final scene, which always gets a knowing titter from the adults.  One night last week though, the damn thing just wouldn't go on, to the amusement of all the cast.  Another couplet change, "... no more money issues.  So i'm popping into Primark, to get Cinders bigger shoes!"  That was a nice one, as most of the changes refer to the audience not the cast.

And before I go, just a quick note.  Hope everyone had a very Happy New Year!!  Best wishes to you all for 2014!!  Let's hope its a good one for us all, with lots of love, happiness, health, wealth and PANTO!!!  Me and Sandy definitely kicked the year of well with Nerf gun battles around the flat and smoke alarm triggering, sparkling candles!!!  What a night!

JB - BB

  

No comments:

Post a Comment