Wednesday 11 December 2013

Guildford - May We Present.... Our Pantomime!!

"The best audience is intelligent, well-educated, and a little drunk." {Alvin Barkley}

So the day has arrived.  Despite all the illness and bugs, it's opening day!!! Because Kit has duties for HRH Prince Charles! this time every year! with a private show! director Gerry! stepped in as his stand by for the opening matinee.  Gerry was of course brilliant, knew all the lines and movements better than we did, and was a joy to watch - so well done Gerry!!!

Alice backed off her vocals for the shows and let the ensemble or her relevant stage partner take lead vocals.  I managed to push through with a healthy dose of something from Dr Footlights!!  He always seems to have a cure.  Obviously though, pushing through does ultimately tire your throat out even more - but I'd have to deal with that afterwards.  

The first show went without a hitch, and it was fantastic to finally have an audience to judge what was funny and what... Well.... Wasn't! 

For the opening night, Kit returned and I was joined by a very special lady!!! Sandy was in, and she stopped by before the show with a few gifts bless her!! Lucky buttons!  I received some lovely flowers (gerberas - my faves), some chocolate Buttons (for a little bit of interval cannibalism) and nice little ornament, Cinderella themed for my Panto tree and a "Buttons Bauble!" Loving handmade by the Jarvo herself!!! 

The show went well again, and it was useful to test it on a more mature audience.  I think this years show is definitely one for the kids.  They know and love the story so much they are transfixed and shout out whenever they are required.  We do have less slapstick  and innuendo this year for the adults, but every year cannot be a repeat of the last, and hopefully there's enough there to keep the parents happy.  Judging by the tweets I received after the show! people seem to love it! 

I managed to get through my first two live song sheets, and it was fed back that I handle the children well.  I felt quite nervous doing this, it's quite daunting when your holding the audience, unscripted and still have to try and make them laugh.  hopefully it's something that I'll settle in to. 

I got suited and booted afterwards and met the gorgeous Jarvo! who had also dressed beautifully for the after show drinks with the major and theatre friends.  Again feedback was positive and a few people commented on the obvious promotion from stooge to lead comic.  Me and Sandy celebrated with a nice greasy burger and chips on the way home, and settled down with some T.V and a lot of steaming for me!!

I have to get well!!! And quickly!!

Bye for now!
JB - BB

No comments:

Post a Comment